MA‑16 Inertia Reel
Product Part Number: 015‑870145‑3-16
dual sensing MA‑16 inertia reel represents a significant and innovative
aircrew occupant restraint safety enhancement during a hard landing or
crash impact. It has the capability to lock by sensing strap acceleration
and omni‑directional impact forces. By virtue of its sound design, dual
sensing lock capability, qualification to MIL‑R‑8236F and zero failure
rate during hundreds of test and aircraft crash impacts it:
- Has eliminated the relatively high failure rate experienced by some
strap acceleration sensing inertia reels when subjected to crash loads.
(These failures have resulted in many avoidable aircrew injuries and
- Has greatly enhanced crash safety because the impact sensing capability
reduces occupant flail and associated cockpit structure strike injuries
during the crash impact sequence.
Offers a demonstrated service life of at least 10 years.
The MA‑16 inertia reel is the choice of all the U.S. Armed services,
Australian forces and most NATO countries for non‑ejection‑seat aircrew
restraint systems. It can be configured for pilot, gunner, medic and
crew chief restraint applications. It is characterized by ease of installation
and good interchangeability with older concepts. Retrofit has been
done for all non‑ejection‑seat Navy aircraft, all Army helicopter fleets
and for Coast Guard helicopters. The Air Force currently has a policy
of installation by attrition. The Australians have retrofitted their
rotorcraft fleets while other NATO countries are using them for fixed
and rotary‑wing aircraft.
PARS ‑ Pre‑Tensioning Aircrew Restraint System
PARS provides the next major significant safety improvement level for
PARS recognizes the crash event and tightens restraint early, minimizing
body & head displacement.
- Cost effectively utilizes existing MA‑16 inertia reel locking reliability.
- Greatly reduces forward and out‑of–position torso displacements
into cockpit structures during a crash.
- Primarily developed for rotary wing installations as complimentary
to MIL‑R‑58095 restraints and stroking / non‑stroking seats.
- Equally effective and applicable to fixed wing transport seats.
- Design focus on ease of installation and limited aircraft mods (electrical
connection for crash sensor).
- View Test Data